Monday, April 23, 2012

Concrete Jungle where Dreams are Made of...

A few months ago a friend from Church (Matt- pictured below in the front row in a hat and sunglasses) sent an email out saying that he wanted to go see Newsies on Broadway, and if we bought our ticket...he would make it happen. Well a few months later and with 15 people in total...we all headed off to New York! Matt rented a 12 passenger van and 13 of us climbed aboard last Friday morning. (yes...it was a bit tight...but fantastic. the other two took a train up later) always keeping WM close to my heart, we played an epic game of accusations both on the way up and back. Here's the van group at a rest stop in Maryland.
There are several photographers in the group (which is awesome) which also meant I didn't bring my camera. But here are a few I captured on my phone for this very blogging purpose:
We visited the 9-11 memorial on Saturday. It was truly incredible. We had to get tickets in advance and then go through a lot of security, but it was all worth it. There are two identical pools in the places where the towers once stood, and water falls from the edges into an even deeper pool of which you can't see the bottom. The names of every person that lost their live is etched into panels edging the pools. It is simple yet powerful.
Some other things we did- hung out in Times Square, ate dinner on Friday at a place where the wait staff is constantly singing and performing. I don't remember the name, but they said that 12 people have been called up from there for broadway shows in the past year. It was quite entertaining. After that we went to a comedy club. Parts were hilarious, others incredibly uncomfortable, but overall very fun. They put our group in the front which meant the comedians ragged on us a lot...which was great. And each comedian is only up for about 7 minutes, so good or bad, you get to hear a lot of different ones. 

Saturday we did some shopping, saw the memorial, went to Central Park, And then of course the purpose of the trip- the Newsies! After hearing a good review from Newsie lover  Maggie herself, I was quite excited....and it did not disappoint! The show was amazing and the singing and dancing phenomenal! Definitely the highlight of the trip.

Oh and you are wondering if I bought anything?? Of course! These socks! A good buy, I know.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

What a fun trip! Sounds like you packed a lot of awesome adventures into one weekend!

Katie said...

Please wear those socks to the burg in 9 days. I will be so happy :) Awesome trip!!

maggie said...

love it! carrying the banner!!! please wear your souvenir socks for girls weekend :)

Christina Casares said...

still havent' made it up to the memorial, but I hope to sometime soon. And yes, those socks are awesome!