Sunday, November 1, 2009

what a cook i am!

something about that cold virginia rain must have made today the perfect day for making soup. i love homemade chicken soup but have never made it myself, and so set out today to do it.

first i boiled a whole chicken for about 30 min (prob a little bit more)
while that was cooking i cut up all my vegetables

  • 4 stalks of celery
  • 1 1/2 onions (they were big onions too)
  • 5 potatoes
  • 5 carrots
after the chicken was "fall-off-the-bone-tender" (a direct quote from my mother) i pulled it out of the pot and let it cool. i also let the water/now chicken broth cool and skimmed off as much of the fat as i could from there.

then i deboned the chicken

and i threw it all back into the pot with the broth, threw in 5 chicken bouillon cubes, salt and pepper, and cooked it until the vegetables were to my liking (about another 40 min)
for my first batch i think it turned out pretty delicious! plus now i have meals for several weeks! i'm hoping it freezes well cause i freezed about 2/3 of it

5 comments:

maggie said...

This looks fantastic! I'm so impressed you used a real whole chicken... I just cut up my prepacked stuff :( And it will freeze well, no worries!

Katie said...

Oh my goodness! That looks great!! If I come visit, can we make that? What a great soup day :)

Elizabeth said...

i am very impressed! i LOVE soup!!

Christina Casares said...

sounds delicious! I made homemade minestrone the other night and it came out pretty good too...I love soup when it's cold out!!

Emily said...

i can't believe i didn't even try this when granted the opportunity. shame on me. i have learned my lesson.