Thursday, January 27, 2011

skiing!

last weekend i went up to wintergreen to go skiing. karen's family has a cabin up there and they were nice enough to some of us use it for the weekend! i've only been skiing once before (in high school) and so was a bit nervous i'd come back with something in a cast, but was also very excited.... and in the end it was awesome! thankfully my friend claire was also a beginner so we spent much of the day learning the ropes on the bunny slopes before meeting up with others later for some intermediate runs. (expert will have to wait for another day for me!)

i only fell a few times on the whole- although one was an excellent backwards slide down an intermediate slope and the other (and my favorite) was a tumble off a ski lift that also took out two of my highly skilled friends. somehow i didn't get off the lift in time and began to panic as i felt myself rise back into the air. my first instinct was to just jump, and as i came down i lost control, taking out the guys i was with in the meantime. in my credit it was dark and icy and there were people falling off that lift about every other chair. but let's be honest i would have fallen anyways :)

all in all it was a great experience! i would alternate between loving the rush and being terrified, but i'm ready to go back again!

some of us on our way to ski!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

good for you Jennie! I'm jealous - we should do a ski trip some time! Alex fell off the chair lifts a few times too - it happens to the best of us :)

Katie said...

So fun!! I am trying to find a time for all m;y sibs to go skiing together - we'll see if we can arrange it. I'm glad you did well!

maggie said...

I am totally scared to death of skiing! Too many sledding accidents as a child I think... Cheers to you though! I'm so impressed!